Saturday, December 5, 2009

Pre-Christmas, nearly post-jetlag and we have ignition!

So I finally feel competent to drive a car. Chore One: Back to Bellingham to check out some of Lorraine's tips on local bargain-shopping.

Accordingly, yesterday I went to North Bellingham in search of Sirpa and Keijo Halmekangas's new discount clothing store, Better Than New. Everything I've heard about the place (from Deals Only employees and from my pal Patty Kuitula) has been extremely positive, but alas, the border lineups were such that I didn't have time to find it on that trip. HOWEVER, I am re-visiting it today, so I can get a good photo in for my Boxing Day column in TV Week Magazine, so I should have even better details (and first-hand observations) to share later today.

I was also on the hunt yesterday for a stick-up portable light for over the sink (not the plug-in kind). I found excellent, battery-operated versions at Big Lots for only $4.50 for each two-pack.

I also visited Sunshine Liquidators. The sad news at SL is that they are planning to close December 23, 2009, unless they can find suitable new quarters in the area. The good news for bargain-shoppers is that everything that's left in the store right now is discounted a whole 40% from the already-low marked prices. General stock is quite picked-over, although there are still many good items in the categories of children's toys, pet toys, stationery, cleaning supplies and Christmas decorations. I walked out with two, big plastic bags of assorted goodies for a grand total of $5.28!

Over at Big Lots, the last of the receivership goods from the demise of Long's Drugs were offered up at 90% off original prices. There's only one small cluster of boxes of these goods, but rooting through them, I found a couple of excellent manicure-type scissors (reduced from about $10 to $1, of course), some much-needed band-aids and a few cup-hooks and screws we needed. (Did you ever notice that when you start to run out of first-aid supplies, they all seem to be gone at the same time? Same with light bulbs! I suspect a conspiracy.)

Deals Only has the usual cosmetics, vitamin and food offers. However, I was on a mission to buy some particular items there for Lorraine, yet found that the Deals Only prices seemed to have climbed steeply, overall. The store workers must be noticing by now that sales of clothing -- for example -- have dropped precipitously, and I would put the reason squarely due to the costs: two to three TIMES what I would consider a "Deal," n'est-ce pas?

Fred Meyer offers the usual good discounts on books, housewares and gifts. Of note: 50% off on jewellery, 20% off luxury cosmetic sets and stationery supplies. Freddy's flyer this week features steaks at $4.99/lb and 3-for-$10 for our favourite no-sugar Breyers 'triple-churned' ice cream.

Don't forget to visit my website -- evalu8.org. Please click on the top banner for great deals from the advertisers that support evalu8.org, and don't overlook the one from Sympatico.ca (you may have to refresh repeatedly, as there are tons of ads in rotation at this time of year), which results in a PERSONALIZED message from Santa to your chosen recipient. The one I composed for my husband John was simply hilarious!

No comments: